What to Keep/Throw Away?
Now that your taxes are filed, take the time to go through your financial papers and decide what to shred and store. Here are a few tips to help you keep what’s important and get rid of the rest.
- Old Social Security statements
- Credit card, credit union or bank statements, and ATM receipts (once you’ve verified your monthly statement)
- Utility bills (if not needed for tax purposes)
- Pay stubs
- Old annual reports from investments
- Legal documents like wedding license, divorce papers, birth certificates, and deeds
- Supporting tax documents in case of audit for up to three years
- Home improvement records until you sell the house
- Active policies like insurance, medical, and pensions or retirement account
Remember to shred unwanted documents to help prevent identity theft or fraud. Use a personal shredder or participate in our upcoming shredding event.
Free Shred Day! Come Celebrate Earth Day With Us…
Saturday, April 21st
West Main office, 12pm – 2pm, 5018 West Main Street, Kalamazoo
Milham office, 2:30pm – 4pm, 1065 West Milham Avenue
For a more comprehensive list of items to save or toss, with a timetable, visit http://www.suzeorman.com/ under “Record Keeping.”